By George Samuel, Abuja
The President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), on Wednesday, announced the appointment of Ambassador Ibrahim Agboola Gambari as his new Chief of Staff.
Below are 10 things you should know about the new CoS:
1. He replaces the late Chief of Staff, Abba Kyari, who died in April.
2. Gambari was born on November 24, 1944.
3. Gambari was Nigeria’s Minister of Foreign Affairs between 1984 and 1985 under Buhari’s military regime.
4. He was a former Director-General of the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs.
5. He was the Chairman of the United Nations Special Committee Against Apartheid (1990-1994) during which he worked closely with African governments to coordinate UN policy to eradicate apartheid.
6. He is the first Under-Secretary-General and Special Adviser to the United Nations’ Secretary-General on Africa between 1999 and 2005.
7. Gambari is the author of several books and scholarly articles. He began his teaching career as a Lecturer at the Queen’s College, City University of New York (1969-1974), followed by an Assistant Professorship at the State University of New York (1974-1977).
8. The CoS became a full Professor at the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, in 1983.
9. He is currently on a leave of absence from the university.
10. Gambari is from a royal family in Ilorin.
One Reply to “10 Things You Ought To Know About The Chief of Staff, Ibrahim Gambari”
This is a really good tip particularly to those fresh to the blogosphere. Simple but very accurate information… Appreciate your sharing this one. A must read article!