Kevin Eze, Umuahia
All Progressives Congress (APC) caucus of Abia state chapter on Saturday met and initiated new reforms for the party ahead of 2023.
The meeting which took place at Camp Neya, home of the Senate Chief Whip and former Governor of Abia state, Senator Orji Uzor Kalu is the first since the election of new caucus executives on June 23 .
The last two months election of the executives which held in Abuja saw the emergence of Senator Orji Uzor Kalu as Chairman of the caucus ; Ambassador Sam Nkire as Deputy Chairman Abia South; Rt. Hon. Nkiru Onyejeocha, Deputy Chairman Abia North ; Hon. Acho Obioma , Secretary of the caucus and Hon. Ben Godson as Deputy Secretary.
In his early remarks, Senator Kalu called for unity of the party and pleaded with members to ignore gossips and embrace togetherness. He recalled he has informed the caucus that anyday anybody is found wanting in steering the leadership of the caucus, it should be discussed among members.”
According to him , ” Politics is about disagreement and agreement. You disagree to agree. I want to plead with you people to be patient with us . Hardwork is a collective thing , whenever you feel you are tired , you rest and give other people chance. And that is one of the best way to move forward. Our party is stronger now than ever . We should stay focused ” Kalu said
In his address, The chairman of Abia state APC, Hon. Donatus Nwankpa
presented new members of the caucus which comprised two members from each zone . He introduced Dr Anyim Nyerere and Hon Paul Ikonne from Abia Abia South as new members; Engr Pedro Madukwe and Dr Daniel Okeke for Abia North ; Hon Kingsley Ugboaja and Engr Chamberlain Adiaso for Abia central.
Speaking on mitigation of unforeseen crisis in the party, the chairman said , ” The party has witnessed crisis and conflicts arising from super individual structures that have been placed above party loyalty, as a result, the party wishes to plead with all individual support groups to direct and channel all their activities towards uniting and building a strong vibrant United APC in Abia state . On this note we call on all leaders and members to close ranks, eschew rancor as we March towards taking over the governance of Abia state. ” Nwankpa said .
COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT END OF THE MEETING OF ABIA STATE ALL PROGRESSIVES CONGRESS (APC) CAUCUS HELD ON SATURDAY, AUGUST 8, 2020 AT CAMP NEYA IGBERE, ABIA STATE
The Abia state APC caucus meeting under the distinguished chairmanship of His Excellency, Senator Orji Uzor Kalu (MON), former Governor of Abia State and Chief Whip of the Senate was held on Saturday, August 8, 2020 at Camp Neya, Igbere, Abia State.
At the meeting the following resolutions were adopted as stated below:
1. The caucus congratulated its chairman and members, who were elected and/or appointed into various leadership positions in the legislative and executive arms of government.
2. The party must be repositioned towards taking her pride of place in the politics of Abia State in a bid to ensure victory at all levels of government in the 2023 general elections.
3. The efforts and giant strides of elected and appointed public officials in attracting developmental projects to their constituencies and Abia state at large were applauded.
4. The need for unity of purpose and harmony among all party stakeholders.
5. The party is to embark on a state wide tour of the 17 LGAs of Abia state, effective September 2020.
6. The aggressive membership drive of the party must be sustained ahead of future elections.
7. All appointments from the federal government should be rooted through the state party structure and caucus.
8. Elected and appointed political office holders must work harmoniously for the greater good of the party.
9. Setting up of a disciplinary and reconciliation committee to avoid/reduce internal conflicts in the party.
10. Funding for the party should be strengthened through monthly contributions by elected and political office holders, members of the caucus and other stakeholders, in addition to donations and financial support from party stalwarts, associates and well wishers.
11. Executives of the party should not head or be part of individual structures and/or support groups. All individual structures and/or support groups must work closely and in tandem with the party structure.
12. As a matter of urgency, to inaugurate zonal, local government and ward caucuses.
13. Passed a vote of confidence on the President Muhammadu Buhari-led federal government and the leadership of the National Assembly.
H. E Senator Orji Uzor Kalu (MON)
Former Governor, Abia State
Chief Whip of the Senate
Chairman, Abia state APC Caucus
Hon. Donatus Nwankpa
Chairman, Abia State APC
Co-Chairman, Abia state APC Caucus
Hon. Nkiru Onyejiocha
Deputy Chief Whip of the House of Representatives
Hon. Acho Obioma
Former Member, House of Representatives (Umahia North and South Federal Constituency)
Secretary, Abia state APC Caucus