The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has said its planned protest on Thursday will go ahead.
This is despite the announcement by the Federal Government that it would no longer remove the fuel subsidy for now.
NLC Deputy President, Joe Ajaero, during an interview on Channels Television breakfast programme Sunrise Daily on Thursday, explained that the rally is aimed at sensitising Nigerians.
“NLC is still standing on its position,” he said on Tuesday. “The Federal Government didn’t say they have abolished it, they are postponing the evil day.
“What we are doing is sensitisation of Nigerians on this fuel subsidy removal or so-called increase in the pump price of petroleum products.”
The labour leader further explained the reasons for the sensitisation, claiming that the fuel subsidy removal was about inflicting more suffering on Nigerians.
“The NLC is sensitising Nigerians that this is not sustainable; that the idea of fuel subsidy is a hoax which they are using to inflict pains on Nigerians.
“So, our planned rally stands. On the 27th of January 2022, we rally nationwide, including the FCT,” he added.
Ajaero argued that the rally has become necessary to alert members of the NLC on perennial hike in the pump price of petrol and other refined petroleum products.
“We need to put our foot soldiers at alert on any eventual action on this issue of increase in the pump price of petroleum products from the current price to over N300 per litre,” he stressed.
The Federal Government had earlier announced the suspension of the planned removal of fuel subsidy.
The Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed, had on Monday said the government had suspended the plan to remove fuel subsidy.
She explained that the government would make provisions for fuel subsidy beyond its initial June deadline in the 2022 budget.