‘Recovering President Could Be Discharged Tomorrow’, Donald Trump’s doctor says

Reading Time: 2 minutes

US President Donald Trump could be discharged from hospital on Monday if he continues to “do really well” as he battles coronavirus, according to his doctor.

Medics held a press conference this afternoon where they said he was continuing to to make steady progress and could return to White House as early as Monday.

However they also revealed the 74-year-old had to be given oxygen at the White House for an hour and had struggled with low oxygen twice as he fights the virus.

And it was also said that the overweight Trump is on the steroid Dexamethasone which the World Health Organisation only recommends for those suffering from severe or critical symptoms.

They added his liver and kidney was functioning well but avoided commenting on whether Trump had suffered any lung damage.

Trump is on a five-day course of remdesivir – an experimental drug first developed for Ebola.

The news comes amid initial confusion about the state of his health after he was diagnosed with Covid-19.

In the early hours of this morning press secretary Kayleigh McEnany released an official update on Trump’s progress stating he was “off supplemental oxygen” but he “not yet of the woods”.

The statement said: “President Trump continues to do well, having made substantial progress since diagnosis. This evening he completed his second round of Remdesivir without complication.

“He remains fever free and off supplemental oxygen with a saturation level between 96 and 98% all day. He spent most of the afternoon conducting business, and has been up and moving about the medical suite without difficulty.

“While not yet out of the woods, the team remains cautiously optimistic.

“The plan for tomorrow is to continue observation in between doses of Remdesivir, closely monitoring his clinical status while fully supporting his conduct of Presidential duties.”

But on Saturday White House chief of staff Mark Meadows told reporters that Trump had been through a “very concerning” period on Friday and that the next 48 hours would be critical.

The President was flown by helicopter to Walter Reed National Military Medical Centre near Washington DC on Friday.

The president himself has posted a video on Twitter from his hospital suite, saying he was feeling “much better now” and hoped to “be back soon”.